Isha Hatha Yoga refers to the classical Hatha yoga courses taught at the Yoga Centre of the Isha Foundation. The Isha Foundation was founded by Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev. The Centre organizes various Isha Hatha Yoga programs for learners wanting to follow the philosophy of Hatha yoga Sadhguru teaches. There is an Isha Hatha Yoga TTC for those who want to spread the light of Isha yoga to others. There are also Hatha yoga, Isha Hatha yoga, and other yogic practices you can learn at the Isha Yoga Centre. Isha Hatha Yoga is greatly spirituality-oriented and teaches classical Hatha yoga in-depth and in its full meaning. However, keep in mind that Isha yoga is more an institution than a school of yoga. So, you will not find any history or origin story of it besides Sadhguru. It revolves entirely around Hatha yoga and the accompanying elements like pranayama, kriya, mantra, etc.
The curriculum of Isha Hatha Yoga
Isha Hatha Yoga has many components. But the five most important and potent practices are:
- Upa-yoga – The set of ten exercises for activating the muscles and joints, firing up the energy system, and revitalizing the body.
- Angamardana – The series of 30 practices for energizing the body in order to attain peak physical and mental well-being.
- Surya Kriya – The 21-step yogic process for holistic improvement of health and wellbeing.
- Yogasanas – Posture sequences for elevating the consciousness, equilibrating the mind and emotions, stabilizing the energy system, and slowing down the aging process of a person.
- Bhuta Shuddhi – The procedure for purification of the five elements that make up the human system and establishing harmony and balance.
Aspects of Isha Hatha Yoga
The other aspects included in the Isha Hatha Yoga programs are Surya Shakti, pranayama, kriya, bandhas, nada yoga, mantra yoga, bhakti sadhana, and guided meditations. Students will get to learn yoga-related anatomy and physiology, yogic philosophies, the science of Siddha medicine, yogic principles and lifestyle, and also Pancha Bhuta Aradhana. You will also be visiting sacred places that are of great significance to yoga. There, you will follow a regimen of sadhana that Sadhguru designed specifically for each site. You will also be following a specific strict diet. This will promote general health according to what is good for the human body. Not only that, but it will also be conducive for one’s physical and spiritual development.
These are only the yoga-related parts of the program. As a teacher, you must not only be an expert in yoga but also an expert in teaching yoga. So, you will learn the step-by-step teaching methodology to help you to design and teach your own programs one day. You will learn how to efficiently design different types of yoga classes like those of Hatha Yoga sessions, extended yoga workshops, and individual yoga tutoring.
Also, you will learn to craft various types of modules like those of durations of one day, three days, one week, two weeks, and month modules, along with drop-in classes. Instructors will show you how to create modules according to your class settings and the needs and goals of students. You can take other basic and advanced programs. You can go for massages and therapies at the Rejuvenation Center and do volunteer work. One can also participate in various important festivals and celebrations as well as significant occasions the Center celebrates.
What You Need to Join an Isha Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program
Before you join the Isha Hatha Yoga teacher training program, you will need to fulfill the following requirements:
- You must mandatorily complete the entire course of the Inner Engineering program from initiation up to Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya.
- You must also have attended at least one basic Isha Hatha Yoga program like Angamardana, Surya Kriya, Surya Shakti or Yogasanas.
- The Isha Yoga Centre also recommends that you attend at least one of the advanced programs before joining the teacher training course. This could be one of Bhava Spandana, Guru Pooja, Samyama, Samyama Sadhana, and Shoonya Meditation.
Other than that, personal requirements include:
- It is best for one to have a basic understanding of English. This is because instructions are in English. But you do not need to worry if you are not well-versed in English as you will get a translator in that case.
- Since the entire Isha Hatha Yoga course is long and rigorous, you should be in the best of health. This includes physical, mental, and emotional health.
Also, be mentally ready for the following:
- You must show complete discipline, dedication, enthusiasm, and commitment to the course.
- You must have 100% attendance.
- Alcohol, tobacco, and drugs are strictly prohibited.
- The course is residential.
- Personal relationships with other students are not encouraged.
- You must take care of your own health insurance during the span of the stay.
- It is important to participate in all aspects of the program.
- You must be able to memorize practice instructions, conduct mock classes, and demonstrate practices.
- You must be fully sincere and dedicated to becoming a Hatha yoga teacher. If your only motivation to learn Hatha yoga is personal growth, you should stick to the other programs only instead of taking the place of an aspiring teaching candidate.
The Isha Yoga Centre will keep providing full post-training support to everyone that passes the Isha Hatha Yoga teacher training course. These include:
- Regular Upgrade Sessions – These are like refresher courses to update the teacher on new practices and modules, new programs, learning modifications for existing practices, etc.
- Alumni Support – This system provides you with new content and materials, the monthly newsletter, notifications about upgrade sessions, and more. You will also get support for job opportunities, clearing of questions and doubts, exchange of ideas, and peer interactions.
- Foundation Support – This will help you set up your own practice. The Centre will put you in touch with the local centre for initiation of teaching, help you with volunteer support, class material, and organizing and marketing your classes, and with alumni for support.
Learning Hatha Yoga from the Isha Yoga Centre will give you great credibility and help you set up your own yoga classes successfully.